How Does Goal Setting Create Our Destiny?
Today we’re going to look at a few examples of how the goals we set and achieve can create our destiny.
- Bill Gates had a goal of providing easy-to-use software for personal computers
- Oprah Winfrey’s goal was to bring quality entertainment projects into production
- Anthony Robbins’ goals included finding out why we do what we do and to help those in need of food and now feeds over 2,000,000 worldwide through his foundation.
- Finally, one of my personal favorites, Herb Brooks had a goal of winning a Gold Medal at the Winter Olympics coaching the United States ice hockey team.
All these phenomenal people created their destinies by setting and achieving goals!
Get Control of Your Life by Setting Goals
Not only will a life coach help you set the right goals, but your chances of achieving your goals will increase as well. Setting goals and attaining them is how we create the destiny of our choice. Why? Without goals, we are leaving our destiny to chance – like a leaf falling from a tall tree on a windy day. The wind will take the leaf wherever it blows. The leaf does not its direction and ultimate destination. Does this analogy imply that goals give us control? Absolutely! If our daily goals are to get up, get to work and get through the day so we can make a living, what destiny will this create?
An excellent method to begin taking control of your destiny is to utilize goal setting, and a life coach can help you do that. Here are five easy-to-use, proven tips for achieving your goals and thus taking control of your destiny:
1. Decide what is realistically attainable for you in these areas: health, relationships, finances, career, spirituality, family, personal development and quality of life. Get specific. Your life coach will help you identify the right goals in each area. Why set goals in all areas of our life? Because we want to have balance. Remember, success in these areas is measured differently for all of us. The point is to know exactly what you want and take action to make it happen.
2. Get leverage on yourself – you must decide that you want to achieve these goals and that you will not settle for anything less. What does leverage do? Leverage means that you have hit a threshold that says, “I want to change this NOW.” When we reach this threshold, we will take action toward our goals. Remember, goals without action are just wishes.
3. Set a deadline for each goal, a date and time if possible. Your life coach knows if you don’t set a date, it’s not a real goal. So, when will the goal be realized? How does this help? Making your goal time specific will help you know if you are on track to achieving your goal. Committing to your deadline will motivate you to take consistent action. In addition, knowing specifically when you want to complete your goal gives your mind clarity about when it has to be realized. This is a power in itself. I love the old saying, “clarity is power.”
4. Next, your life coach will help you create an action plan made up of small steps taken every day. Once again, goals without action are just wishes. If you don’t take action on a goal, is it possible fear is blocking you? Sometimes a goal will look so big our minds convince us the goal is not worth going through the pain of achieving it. One common block to goal reaching is the fear of failing. Our minds tell us, “I’m going to fail anyway, so why bother trying?” Don’t get caught up in these mind games. Do you think the four people noted at the top of this article didn’t have fear? That’s doubtful. But it’s obvious they did not let their fears stop them. Why? I believe they had a “whatever it takes” attitude. They didn’t let fear get in their way.
In the action plan stage, your life coach will help you identify the obstacles (physical, financial, and emotional) standing in your way, as well as steps to overcome them. This will be your road map, getting you to your goal with small, clear, workable steps each day. How does this help? Writing down your plan for goal attainment increases the chance you will follow through and take the actions written. Why? You know what action you need to take and when to take it. This is the power of clarity I mentioned earlier; Life coaching helps create higher levels of clarity. This clarity is so powerful you will create an unstoppable momentum, driving you to your goal!
5. Notice if the actions you are taking are giving you the results you want. This is how you measure whether or not you are achieving your goal. The life coach will help you identify this. If you are not moving towards achieving your goal, you need to change your actions. Why? If you keep taking the same actions, you will usually create the same results. This cause and effect relationship between your actions and the results must be monitored so you can modify them to produce the results you want. You wouldn’t keep spending money on advertising your product in the newspaper if it yielded you zero sales, right? If you see your method is not working, change it until you find something that does. You can speed up this process by talking to people that have already gotten the results you seek. Ask them how they did it and replicate their efforts!
With these 5 steps, life coaching can help you create the destiny of your choice. Do you want to be like the leaf, or do you want to be the captain of your ship and take it to your chosen destination? The choice is always ours to make. The difference will be evident when comparing our overall level of happiness in the past, present and future years to come. Moving towards a destiny of choice will create a happier, joyful and fulfilled life.
Start today by thinking about the kind of person you are. Are you happy with yourself and what you have achieved? Who are you becoming, and what or who are you dedicating your life to? If you’re happy with this, great! If not, I have a question for you: Are you willing to do something about it? If so, personal life coaching can help you on your journey of change.
If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten.
– Anthony Robbins, Personal Power
For things to change, we have got to change.
– Jim Rohn